Creative City respects that young children learn in different ways and at different paces. We know that every child is unique and learns differently, so we use teaching methods that ensure each child reaches their full potential. Using play-based learning, our teachers and staff provide an interactive and rich curriculum tailored to students' individual needs and interests.
Play-based learning is an approach to education where children engage in meaningful activities based on their interests, needs, and learning style. Through play-based learning, children can explore their environment and learn at their own pace. Using play-based learning in conjunction with our standards-based curriculum is a winning combination. Creative City uses the culturally-rich city of Baltimore as a foundation for this unique approach to learning and consistently sees the following five benefits:
1. Children learn faster by doing: We give our elementary students vibrant, dynamic, hands-on learning experiences. This learning style often allows students to grasp concepts more quickly than traditional textbook methods. Students also develop confidence in their abilities and become more independent learners.
2. Relationship-building in class: Play-based learning is a fantastic way to foster young children's relationship-building and early social skills. Most play scenarios provide natural opportunities to practice collaboration, communication, and conflict resolution. Imagine if students are building a block tower together and one student accidentally knocks it over. The opportunity to navigate this type of conflict through to a peaceful resolution is a learning experience much more meaningful than any lecture-style lesson could ever provide. Strong relationships are a signal of student confidence.
3. Independence: At Creative City, students may explore their classrooms during playtime or group work. Setting clear expectations and routines at the beginning of the year allows this freedom to be offered in a way that enhances learning and does not distract from the task at hand. Ultimately, this leads to students who have the confidence to problem-solve without help (and who are self-assured when they enter middle school).
4. Development of critical-thinking skills: We incorporate critical thinking into many of our lessons and encourage the use of student imagination. Young scholars learn to think creatively, communicate ideas and feelings, and develop problem-solving skills that have long-term benefits. This builds pride and confidence.
5. The ability to learn independently: Play-based learning allows children to learn in a setting where they are encouraged to try new things and explore new ideas. It will enable children to build confidence and master new skills before moving forward to more challenging material. This is a huge part of building independence and self-reliance that will serve students throughout their lives.
Learning is a shared responsibility among parents, teachers, and the community. At Creative City, we do our part by providing unique learning experiences and an engaging curriculum that help students have a better understanding of the world. We implement physical activity and play into many of our lessons because we know it works.
As a tuition-free public charter school serving grades K-5. We foster an atmosphere of experimentation and discovery where children can learn through trial and error. By giving our students the freedom to imagine and create, we boost confidence and encourage personal growth that will remain for years. We recognize the importance of early education and are committed to supporting the development of children in our community. For more information or to enroll, visit our website at www.creativecityschool.org.
About Creative City Public Charter School
Creative City Public Charter School is a dynamic K-5 elementary school with caring educators. We engage our students in a placed-based learning environment using the city of Baltimore as a cultural and civic foundation. Our approach is creative yet challenging; and our tuition-free public school encourages out-of-the-box thinking alongside the pursuit of each student’s personal, highest academic potential. Enroll your child today!
Leave a Reply.